By writing this 128 page book, Doug Wathen has made available to teachers, and anyone who desires to witness, a practical and valuable resource. He has turned common magic tricks into events that will both excite an audience and enhance their understanding of lessons. He has combined a common form of entertainment with ministry. The result is a kind of teaching and evangelism that many will want to see and hear.
This book is extremely well written. The illustrations and explanations are clear. The message ideas are appropriate and meaningful. When it comes to offering information that even beginners can apply and use with great effectiveness, I think this is the best book on the subject of using illusions to explain the gospel to arrive on the scene in more than twenty years. Anyone who is willing to study and apply the material found on the following pages will find himself in possession of a terrific tool for ministry.
– Meet the magicianary (Introduction, Helpful Do’s and Don’ts)
– Begin with simple classroom tricks (You Are Valuable to God, Jesus Removes Sin, He Took Away My Sin, The Key to Unlock Heaven’s Door)
– Create paper object lessons with impact (One Way to Heaven, Who’s In Control?, Knowing the Future)
– Demonstrate biblical concepts with rope (Trinity Ropes, Stand Firm in Your Faith, Jesus Sets You Free, Rope Through the Coat, All Are the Same)
– Illustrate the truth with illusions (The Disbedient Heart, Freedom from Peer Pressure, Getting into God)
– Teach Bible stories with simple change devices (Using easy Change Devices, Ideas for Teaching Bible Lesons, God Puts the Pieces Together Complete Bible Lesson)
– Reach bigger crowds with platform illusions (Watch God Multiply, The Trinity Fills Your Heart, God Fills Your Life with the Fruit of the Spirit, Experience the Reality of Life Abundant in Christ